By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD December numbers

Nintendo DS 1.6 mm PS2 1.4 mm GBA 850.7 K Xbox 360 1.1 mm Wii 604.2 K PSP 953.2 K PS3 490.7 K http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14940 Don't shoot the messenger!!! Now about fixing some of the numbers here on this website....

Around the Network

hairdewx said: Nintendo DS 1.6 mm PS2 1.4 mm GBA 850.7 K Xbox 360 1.1 mm Wii 604.2 K PSP 953.2 K PS3 490.7 K http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14940 Don't shoot the messenger!!! Now about fixing some of the numbers here on this website....
Looks like 360 numbers were not nearly as optomistic as CNBC made them out to be, or the Wii (Are they really shills for these guys?). They reported the correct number for PS3 but they were saying something like 1.3 million for Wii and 1.5 million for 360. 360 still barely selling better than the original, original Xbox December 2002, sold 1.04 million. PSP is such a great product, if they would lower the cost it would knock DS lite off (in the US), but they keep refusing too.

I doubt PSP would knock off the DS with a price drop. The 70 buck difference is about the same (percentage wise) as the 100 bucks between a PS2 and Gamecube. And check the 1st party games list for DS in 2006: http://nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ntr/ntr_us.shtml Its pretty impressive, and then theres several great 3P titles too. Whats more, Nintendo are in a better position to drop the DS price now that Sony are for PSP, so you could expect a counter-drop.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

These are US numbers right? so not NA? :p

Alvar said: These are US numbers right? so not NA? :p
Yes, so the US numbers on this site need to be fixed for multiple consoles....

Around the Network

Wow... if those are correct, that is horrendous for the Wii, and I doubt they got anywhere near their 4 million figure. Fantastic for the DS, PS2, PSP, GBA, and 360. All in all a good holiday, except for the disappointing number for the Wii and the PS3.

"360 still barely selling better than the original, original Xbox December 2002, sold 1.04 million." It's this kind of ignoramous comment that really shows the silliness of this discussion. You're comparing a product that costs $299-399 to one which cost $199. The original Xbox had a price drop in May 2002, only 6 months after its original release (you can check wikipedia or the sales charts, which clearly show a big bump right after the price cut) The current 360 still hasn't had a price drop and is still selling roughly the same pace. That's a GOOD thing. The price sensitivity of the market is an important factor when discussing these issues. Don't just compare unit to unit sales. It's just dumb.

Stromprophet said: hairdewx said: Nintendo DS 1.6 mm PS2 1.4 mm GBA 850.7 K Xbox 360 1.1 mm Wii 604.2 K PSP 953.2 K PS3 490.7 K http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14940 Don't shoot the messenger!!! Now about fixing some of the numbers here on this website.... Looks like 360 numbers were not nearly as optomistic as CNBC made them out to be, or the Wii (Are they really shills for these guys?). They reported the correct number for PS3 but they were saying something like 1.3 million for Wii and 1.5 million for 360. 360 still barely selling better than the original, original Xbox December 2002, sold 1.04 million. PSP is such a great product, if they would lower the cost it would knock DS lite off (in the US), but they keep refusing too.
CNBC originall reported 2 million for the 360 and 1.8 million for the Wii.. but that was for Nov and Dec and all of NA. They were WAAAAYYY off on the Wii... and I mean WAY off. The 360 was pretty close... 1.6 million for the US in those two months and then add in whatever you guys want for NA (you seem to have your own ideas on that!). Anyhow, as I pointed out in the other thread, the 360 is outselling the original Xbox by leaps and bounds... so, not sure why you keep trying to slam it, Stromprophet. By this July it will reach 14.5 million a year faster than the Xbox 1 did it.

Erik Aston said: I doubt PSP would knock off the DS with a price drop. The 70 buck difference is about the same (percentage wise) as the 100 bucks between a PS2 and Gamecube. And check the 1st party games list for DS in 2006: http://nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ntr/ntr_us.shtml Its pretty impressive, and then theres several great 3P titles too. Whats more, Nintendo are in a better position to drop the DS price now that Sony are for PSP, so you could expect a counter-drop.
I'd have to disagree. I do agree DS has great content, but DS already price dropped 1 time. And again this season at several stores was offered for 99 dollars actually. But a price difference in handhelds is different than in consoles. PSP keep holding that price and now it's causing a problem IMO. They sold less this December in US than last December. But sold more in November this year than last year. Very confusing. Considering the content available as a video player, mp3 player, I think a lot of people believe the price should be lower because mp3 players cost less in general, and small video players, or portable DVD players also cost less. I'm only saying in the US they would have a shot, maybe in Europe too. But never in Japan, there is just no way.

allsampah said: "360 still barely selling better than the original, original Xbox December 2002, sold 1.04 million." It's this kind of ignoramous comment that really shows the silliness of this discussion. You're comparing a product that costs $299-399 to one which cost $199. The original Xbox had a price drop in May 2002, only 6 months after its original release (you can check wikipedia or the sales charts, which clearly show a big bump right after the price cut) The current 360 still hasn't had a price drop and is still selling roughly the same pace. That's a GOOD thing. The price sensitivity of the market is an important factor when discussing these issues. Don't just compare unit to unit sales. It's just dumb.
I didn't say it was not good. I happen to own a 360. I was just stating a fact. Some experts say it is not as good as you say. 1 thing they point out is the Xbox had really good sellling considering it was going up against the PS2 which dominated the entire market. Their reasoning (not mine by the way, these are analysts and such) is that 360 should be selling better because it was the only player in the field.