By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - March, critical point in 7th generation

March is going to be a critical month for Next-generation. Why, are u asking?! -Big wii games (Paper mario, SSX Blur, The godfather, prince of persia and more...) -PS3 release in Europe The thing is, PS3 can't keep up with Wii nor can it keep up with X360. When those Wii games are released and are received well this could set a trend for lower sales for PS3 throughout the year wich is followed up by less 3th party support and lower sales of end 07 killer aps... (Like eerhm............ ah i got one: ... No i don't, humpf )... -And i asked some local stores if u could get a PS3 at launch, all said: 'Yes, currently we have 3x as many wii's in pre-order then we have with PS3...' And: 'We're getting arund 50-60 PS3's but we have only 23 pre-orders and 76 wii pre-orders'. And because wii has been out in Europe (biggest market worldwide) for 4 months it still amazes me that it still has to be pre-ordered. I think that when PS3 launches in Europe it will easily reach 3 million and then slow down again! With the big wii titles coming out Wii will climb to 6-6.5 million in the coming month (say 14th o' April)... With this happening, this could set a Very nasty trend for PS3 in 07 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Thoughts, suggestions and oppinions are welcome! !

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

That raises a good point, if it's true that the Wii still has more pre-orders than the PS3 that will be terrible for Sony. And yes that could possibly make PS3 sales slow until a major release game.

Frankly, I think March is mainly important for Sony. Sony needs to sell at least 1 million worldwide, to be reasonably close to their expectations through March 31. If they can sell the usual 350k between N.A./Japan and 600,000+ of their shipment of 1 mill to Europe, they will have met my expectations. If they can sell around 800,000 to 1.3 million PS3s in March, it should be Sony's biggest month worldwide until Nov/Dec. I think Nintendo will begin to catch up to demand in March because there are no real big Wii releases. 360 is about the same.. April will be interesting as PS3 PAL hype starts to subside and Super Paper Mario comes out. Curious to see how Nintendo hardware sells with the increases in manufacturing...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

This is a somewhat inflammatory OP. I would like this discussion to remain civil, and I'm glad it has so far, but please try not to let this turn into a flame war. Thank you.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

even if march is important, i don't think we'll see the trend til the end of april, when the European PS3 launch will have cooled down. As for march, i am worried for sony since i have noticed the same trend as starcraftmaniac in France. My local game stores, which i visit regularly, are still sold out of wii (since launch actually, all of them. Btw, never seen that before in france) and the line is indeed bigger, or at least identical in some, to "pre-order" a wii than to pre order a ps3. My only worry for nintendo is that the supply will lag for too long behind demand and tire potential customers, leading to a drought during the summer (and a possible catch up by the ps3...?)

Around the Network

I really consider this to be speculation. And I really doubt that these Wii titles are that "big". I think that Paper mario will net some good sales but I have no reason to believe that the other games mentioned will be in the same league.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

You have to rember this one thing. You can have 8 pre-orders. If you 'know' your gonna get your PS3. Your only gonna have 1. How many of those pre-orders are duplicates for the Wii?

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: You have to rember this one thing. You can have 8 pre-orders. If you 'know' your gonna get your PS3. Your only gonna have 1. How many of those pre-orders are duplicates for the Wii?
If Many of them were duplicates, Most would get canceled as orders come in and they wouldn't last long would they? The fact is that the Wii still can't be kept on the shelves in Europe and there's huge demand. But as for the Big titles, take Prince of Persia off that list. It's a Ubisoft Wii port. I have only slightly higher expectations for it than Farcry Vengeance and Splinter Cell.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof - exactly.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

March is irrelevent in the scheme of things. The only thing i'd say is for the first time the ps3 will have a steady stream of games.